Non-Traditional Parent Dance Songs 2009
There will always be a place for Al Martino crooning, “Daddy’s Little Girl” and for Boyz II Men’s “A Song For Mama,” but when you’re looking for something different for that father daughter dance or a mother son song that fits your personality…where do you look?
A few thoughts that may knock some ideas loose…
- You don’t have to choose a song specifically written for a parent and child. There are plenty of beautiful, quirky or sentimental songs that work perfectly as a parent dance.
- Search your memories for songs that remind you of mom or dad. Did your father sing you a song when you were little? A particular artist your mom played over and over? Your childhood memories often suggest a song that fits your relationship.
- Use a story to make a non-traditional song the perfect fit. If the song that comes to mind is a little weird, have your entertainer give a little explanation so your guests understand. One of our grooms chose “Your Song” by Elton John for the dance with his mother. Technically, it’s a love song, but his mom played it for him on the piano and it always made him think of her.
- Have fun with it. Choose a light-hearted or even silly song for your parent dance. You’ll both be smiling…and so will your guests.
Here are 9 outside the box parent dances courtesy of our creative Hudson Valley couples..
A Little Bit o’ Country
- “Mama Tried” – Merle Haggard
- “For Baby” – John Denver
Lightening It Up
- “The Wind” – Cat Stevens
- “Do You Believe In Magic” – Lovin’ Spoonful
- “Days Like This” – Van Morrison
- “Mother Father” – Musiq Soul Child
- “Blue Does” – Blue October
Sweet & Sentimental
- “The One Who Knows” – Dar Williams
- “Edelweiss” – The Sound of Music
Of course, these aren’t one size fit all choices. But that’s the point.
Have you already found the perfect parent dance song for your wedding? Leave a comment here and share the knowledge!Locust Grove Mardi Gras Party »